Energize your day by making energy your first priority. Before your first coffee, before jumping into your to do list, and any time throughout your day, monitor your energy like it’s wealth beyond price.
Because it is.
Taking these seven simple steps will:
- make you aware of your energy level as you move through your day.
- enhance your ability to put energy first before anything else.
- help you notice what depletes your energy and get clear on what you can do about it.
This first way to energize your day happens before you get out of bed.
1. Choose the Quality You Want to Experience
When you wake up and before your feet hit the floor spend five to ten minutes thinking about the quality you want to experience that day. It can be different each day, or you can pick one for several days in a row, or any way you want.
If you’re in overwhelm or already feel exhausted before you even get out of bed, you could choose ‘calm sense of purpose’ as your experience. If you dislike your job and find it less than challenging, you could choose ‘creative and fun’ as your experience.
Once you’ve chosen the quality you want to experience, close your eyes and see it. In your imagination walk through your day and see yourself embodying that quality.
Feel it. Breathe it in. Be available to it.
2. Choose Some Simple Steps and Be Present for Them
After you’ve chosen your quality for the day, do some simple activity like making your bed or washing your face and be present for the activity. Notice your thoughts. Where is your attention? Are you thinking about something that happened yesterday? Is your mind on what you have to do today?
If your thoughts wander from your activity bring them back gently. If you’re washing your face, give it some gentle pats to stimulate your skin. If you’re making your bed, notice the feel of the sheets in your hands.
3. Energize Your Water for the Day
This works best when prepared 24 hours ahead of time.
What you’ll need:
- a glass container or pitcher large enough to hold all your water for the day
- a crystal such as amethyst or rose quartz (optional)
- A glass if staying at home or glass water bottle to carry with you. (This is the one I have. Don’t use plastic.)
- a print out of this thank you sheet.
- Fill the pitcher and place it in an uncluttered spot in your house.
- Cut out several of the thank you’s and tape them to the pitcher.
- Set some more of the thank you’s around the pitcher.
- If you’re taking your glass bottle with you, add some thank you’s to it as well.
- When you take water from your pitcher, add more so it’s always full (reminding you of abundance!).
- Cover the pitcher with a napkin or pretty scarf if you prefer.
Explore more about water by reading about Dr Masaru Emoto.
4. Move Your Body to Renew Your Energy
If you find your energy flagging at any time during the day, move.
- Put on some music and dance for five minutes.
- Bounce up and down on your toes.
- Get up from your desk and walk around.
- Stretch or rotate your body and breathe.
- Do this heaven and earth exercise.
Finish by reminding yourself of the quality you want to experience and once again breathe into it. Make yourself available to it. Feel it. This is a practice so the more you practice, the easier and faster it will be to return to the quality you’ve chosen for the day.
5. Energize Your Day With a Fun Creative Activity
We are creators. We constantly create through what we’re thinking about and focusing on, whether it’s something negative or something positive.
Including a daily creative exercise shifts your mind and your emotions to a more positive state. Write. Draw. Make jewelry or some other craft. Buy yourself some flowers and arrange them in your favourite vase. Sing your favourite song and sing your heart out. If you don’t feel like doing a creative activity, that is the best time to go ahead and do it.
One of my favourite ways to re-energize is to take a cat nap before I get creative. Napping is a superpower! Nap for only 10 or 15 minutes at most otherwise you’ll feel groggy. Then once you’ve had your nap, do your creative activity.
It doesn’t matter what it is. Just set aside some time for you, and create!
6. Affirm and Then Ask for What You Want
Women are often busy creatures. We could be out working during the day and also working in the home at night. Because we’ve been culturally conditioned to be care givers, breaking that mold takes conscious effort.
One way is to affirm and then ask for what you want.
Look first in the areas in your life where you feel resentful or obligated. Look at where you’d like to say NO but don’t. If you feel that way and you’re not saying anything, your energy is leaking.
It could be at work, it could be with family or even friends who are demanding. It would be great if everyone was aware of themselves to the extent that they see clearly where they’re not doing their part or putting undue pressure on you. Sadly, that’s rare.
Never Miss the Weekly Post
So learning to ask is a way you don’t give up your energy.
Remember the quality you chose for the day. How can you experience that quality by asking for what you want? It might take practice but it’s worth it energy wise.
7. Appreciation Builds Energy for Tomorrow
At the end of your day, review your day. Did you experience the quality you wanted? What happened when your energy flagged at certain times? How did you get it back?
You will be aware of the times you didn’t have the quality you wanted. And that’s okay.
However there is a reward in spending a few minutes thinking or writing about those moments when you did feel the way you wanted to feel. Do a mental or written inventory and say thank you for those moments.
And tomorrow when you wake up and choose the quality you want to energize your day, take a moment and remember the great moments from today.
That practice of continuity is how you energize not just your day but your life.
This list contains just a few ideas with so many more to choose from. Do you have a practice to energize your day?